GIMP tutorial – combine two textures using color select tool
Hi everyone hope you are having a great day!
Today I am going to show you a simple tutorial in GIMP on how to combine two similar backgrounds using the color select tool and also via layer masking. I have used these two similar pictures from sftextures.com:
Since both of these textures have a black background I am going to use the color select tool to combine them. The steps are as follows
- Open gimp and open the left picture as a layer pressing ctrl + alt + o.
- Open the second picture as a layer using ctrl + alt + o.
- Make the layer semi transparent by moving the opacity bar to 50 percent and Move the picture in a position such that the fireworks are centered.
- Change the transparency back to 100 percent and select the color selection tool by either clicking it or pressing shift + o.
- Select the black color in the upper layer. You will see ants running clockwise indicating the black color selected throughout the layer.
- Go to Layers>Transparency >Add alpha channel and press del. Press ctrl +shift +a to deselect everything.
- Voila! You have a great picture of plenty of fireworks as one image.
- Use the background eraser tool to erase any white strips leftover in the layer and save your work in any format of your choice-
- Your final image would look like this:
Hope you liked this tutorial. Please keep visiting sftextures.com for such future simple tutorials in GIMP.