Colorful front-page background
In this tutorial I’m going to show you how easy it is to create this cool violet front-page image for websites:
We are not going to draw the image from scratch, but choose one of the existing stock images.
1. The first step is to choose the image. Choose the one you like best and download it (the smaller sizes are completely free).
I liked this stock image. It’s a little depressive grey water with sun reflection stock image:
2. Open the image in GIMP (if you don’t have it – download at gimp.org – it’s free).
3. Create a new layer.
4. Select Blend Tool and choose a Radial Shape with Gradient type FG to BG (RGB). Set foreground color to white and background color to black.
5. Now apply a radial gradient to the center of the image. Set Layer mode to Multiply. At this step you should have something like this:
What we have now is a main pattern image. It can be used further with different color overlays for beautiful backgrounds. If you couldn’t get it right – you can download my patterns.
6. Next and final step is to colorize it in any color you want. I have chosen a violet for this tutorial. Select Colors -> Colorize and apply the following settings:
Play around and see if you get better results with other colors!